Women’s Healthcare is in Jeopardy
Here’s what you need to know NOW:
At 4 AM on Thursday March 9, 2017, after 18-hours of deliberation, the GOP took a major step forward in passing the repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act. The speed of the deliberations are shutting the public out of the process, and women and marginalized groups have the most to lose.
Here’s Why We Need to Act NOW:
- As parts of Medicaid cuts, access to contraceptive coverage will be severely cut. 19 million women rely on Medicaid for their healthcare. In fact, half of all births are covered through Medicaid.
- Abortion coverage will be significantly reduced. Individuals in need of tax credits to purchase their health insurance (the proposed replacement for subsidies) will be prohibited from enrolling in a healthcare plan that covers abortion. This means poor women will be forced out of plans that cover abortion.
- Planned Parenthood is being targeted for defunding, cutting vital healthcare access from the 2.5 million Americans who use their services each year.
- Victims of domestic violence could lose access. They may be required to still file jointly with their partner in order to receive a tax credit, further endangering them.
- Millions of women will lose health insurance without the ACA, and tens of millions more may have their contraception coverage rescinded.
This is a healthcare emergency for millions of Americans and women’s reproductive healthcare is at stake.
Take Action NOW:
Call your Member of Congress NOW and tell them that you won’t stand for any healthcare legislation that does not protect women’s health. Find your representative’s contact info here.
Here’s what you can say:
Hello, I’m a constituent of _____, and I want to ensure that Representative _____ is opposing the healthcare proposal to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. This proposal negatively impacts women’s access to healthcare, especially reproductive healthcare, and would cause millions of Americans to lose their coverage.