NOW-NYC Endorses Christine Quinn for Mayor
The National Organization for Women in New York City officially endorsed Christine Quinn for mayor, citing her record of results, demonstrated leadership and her historic candidacy as she seeks to become New York’s first woman mayor.
“Christine Quinn’s candidacy is inspiring to women across New York, not simply because she is a woman, but because she is a woman who has the strongest record of accomplishment of anyone in the race,” said Sonia Ossorio, President of NOW-NYC.
Christine Quinn has a proven track record of fighting for everything NOW stands for: protecting reproductive rights, women’s economic empowerment, and ending discrimination and violence against women. As NYC Council Speaker, Quinn has:
- Championed legislation that vastly expands the number of Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (MWBE) that can participate in city contracts – helping to both level the playing field and spur economic growth in our city.
- Led the way on protecting reproductive health services for women. Passed a disclosure law to make pregnancy service cneters run by anti-choice groups that aim to deceive women more transparent. Initiated a citywide Clinic Protection Project for abortion service providers facing protests.
- Passed groundbreaking legislation to crack down on paid drivers who facilitate sex with prostituted women.
- Fought to restore and protect city funding to maintain quality after-school programs for 200,000 kids and childcare for 50,000 children, and made kindergarten mandatory.
- Created “Respect for All,” one of the strongest anti-bullying programs in the U.S.
- Passed a law making it illegal for landlords to discriminate against families paying with Section 8 vouchers, to stop housing discrimination against low-income New Yorkers.
- Has a clear plan to increase affordable housing and access to childcare, help families afford prescription drugs for chronic diseases, increase support for new teachers and decrease test prep, and implement comprehensive health education in our schools.
NOW-NYC couldn’t be more pleased to endorse her historic candidacy and make sure that every voter in New York knows that in Christine Quinn we will have a mayor who has and can deliver real results for women and families across the five boroughs.
Phone Bank for the Next Mayor of NYC
We need volunteers to phone bank for the next Mayor of NYC. Sign up: firstname.lastname@example.org or (212)627-9895
Quinn Lands Support of Large Women’s Advocacy Group-90.7 wufv.org–June 11th, 2013
Female Surrogates: It’s Time for Quinn, not Comments on Silver -Capital NY–June 10th, 2013
Christine Quinn Gets NOW-NYC Backing-News Day–June 10th, 2013
New York NOW Endorses Christine Quinn for Mayor-Village Voice–June 10th, 2013
NOW Endorses Speaker Christine Quinn for Mayor – New York Daily News – June 10th, 2013
NOW Endorses Christine Quinn for Mayor – Village Voice – June 10th, 2013