Two New York women – a 57 year old lawyer and a 24 year old EMT Practical Skills Instructor – who “met” on Twitter over #MeToo have teamed up to take the message of Tarana Burke’s #MeToo movement to the streets of New York City. This rally is an opportunity for survivors to speak out, to be seen, to have their voices heard – and to change the tide of how sexual abuse victims are treated in America.
This rally is being held to support people who have experienced sexual abuse, including both organizers: Connie from age 7 to 16 and Annmarie as a young teen. These courageous women want to raise awareness about the diversity and complexity of survivor experiences and, most importantly, to provide resources for help.
NOW-NYC is proud to co-sponsor and lead the Stick Up for Survivors Action at the conclusion of the rally. We will be there to discuss Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and to promote our Heal Me Too campaign and website for survivor support. Please join us for a powerful day of action!
1:00 – 1:15 Welcome by #MeTooRallyNYC organizers Connie Vasquez and Annmarie Haubert
1:15 – 2:30 Program of speakers and musical performances
2:30-3:00 TAKE ACTION: Stick Up for Survivors: Map of #MeToo in the Columbus Circle subway station (Enter near the globe and walk through turnstiles toward the “1” train.)
Survivors and allies will create a visual representation of #MeToo by posting their own #MeToo stories and messages of support and solidarity. This visual will be left in place to spur more MeToo messages. This is more than a moment – it’s a movement.
- Sonia Ossorio, President, NOW-NYC
- Farah Tanis, Co-Founder and Executive Director of Black Women’s Blueprint
- Aryn Quinn, Founder of End Abuse 4 Good
- BETTY, Feminist Rock Band
- Jamia Wilson, Executive Director of The Feminist Press
- Evy Yeager, Safe Horizon Speakers’ Bureau
- Marci Hamilton, Kathryn Robb & Steve Jimenez of New Yorkers Against Hidden Predators
- Betty Teng, MSW, Trauma Specialist
- Gary Greenberg, Executive Director of Protect NY Kids
- Anastasia Somoza, International Disability Rights Advocate
- Mae Krell, Singer/Songwriter
- Bridie Farrell, Advocate, Athlete, and Survivor
- Joyce Short, Author and Advocate
- Elizabeth Cronise McLaughlin, Founder and CEO of The Gaia Project for Women’s Leadership
and many more to be announced soon.
When: Saturday, December 9 from 1 PM – 3 PM
Where: **LOCATION HAS BEEN CHANGED! The rally will now take place outside Trump International Hotel in Columbus Circle – meet across the street on the east side of Central Park West between 60th and 61st Streets.
#MeToo: Speak Out On Sexual Harassment And Assault! Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, after being...
Call Your Legislators to Stop the GOP Tax Bill Stop the GOP Tax Bill! While the...