About National Organization for Women – New York City
National Organization for Women – New York City (NOW-NYC) advocates for the women and girls of New York. We aim to defend reproductive rights, fight economic inequality, promote women’s leadership, and end discrimination and violence against women. As the largest NOW chapter in the country, we play a key role in shaping the debate on the issues that impact women, creating policies, and holding government and businesses accountable to the women of New York.
Women’s Justice NOW is our charitable partner organization, supporting our public education and outreach efforts and providing legal advocacy and referrals to women in need. Our team aids survivors in navigating the criminal justice system to get their cases investigated and to seek justice in the courts. We are leading the fight against drug-facilitated sexual assault – implementing our research into initiatives to train law enforcement officials and enable prosecutors to arrest and indict perpetrators.
Women’s Rights Internship
Do you want experience working in a nonprofit women’s rights organization?
The National Organization for Women-New York City and Women’s Justice NOW are seeking Women’s Rights Interns to assist in our programming, fundraising and organizing efforts. Interns gain exposure to how an advocacy organization runs on a day-to-day basis, and play an important role in planning and implementing actions and events.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), create content for daily postings, and track analytics
- Write and update website content regarding campaigns, actions, and news clips
- Help organize and participate in rallies, protests and special events
- Conduct policy research and draft talking points and memos
- Design outreach and “weekly resistance updates” emails on Mailchimp
- Provide referral resource information by phone via our Helpline
- Assist with donor research, prospecting and other administrative support for the development department
- Provide administrative support to staff as needed
- Applicants must be professional, responsible and demonstrate a commitment to NOW’s mission and advocacy for women’s rights.
- Applicants must possess excellent research, writing, and communication skills. Web writing experience is highly desirable.
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) for professional purposes is preferred.
- Graphic design and video editing skills are a plus.
- The ability to work independently and to see projects through to completion.
Interns work a minimum of 16 hours a week during our business hours of Monday through Friday, 9:30am to 5:30pm, with some evening hours for events, at the NOW-NYC office in Manhattan.
Interns receive a small stipend at the conclusion of the internship.
The National Organization for Women—New York City and Women’s Justice NOW are seeking Development Interns to assist with our fundraising efforts. Interns will be exposed to a wide range of development activities including database management, event planning, researching potential donors, and gift processing. If you love data, research, writing and digging then this internship is for you!
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist with donor research and prospecting
- Update and maintain donor database
- Create and edit development materials, including solicitation and acknowledgement letters
- Assist with event management and logistics for annual gala
- Provide general administrative support for the development department
- Provide referral resource information by phone via our Helpline, an initiative of Women’s Justice NOW
- Learn the ropes and best practices for fundraising at a nonprofit organization
- Applicants must be current undergraduate or graduate students, and should possess proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Google Docs and graphic design experience preferred.
- Applicants must be professional, responsible, detail-oriented, and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Applicants should also be dedicated to achieving women’s rights and committed to the mission of NOW-NYC and Women’s Justice NOW.
Interns work a minimum of 16 hours a week during our business hours of Monday through Friday, 9:30am to 5:30pm, with some evening hours for events, at the NOW-NYC office in Manhattan. Interns receive a small stipend at the conclusion of the internship.
To apply, please submit your resume, a short writing sample and a cover letter indicating which internship you are applying for, where you learned about our internship, what you have to offer to NOW-NYC and Women’s Justice NOW, and how your interests and experiences align with our mission. Please also include your anticipated start date and your work schedule in your cover letter (i.e. two full days or one full day and two half-days. Please be as specific as possible).
Email your materials to Shannon Lowrie at email@example.com.
We are accepting applicants on a rolling basis until all positions are filled, but we will first consider applicants who apply by the priority deadline of August 15.
Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are unable to respond to all applicants and inquiries.
NOW-NYC is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people of any race or ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation and from any underrepresented groups.
What do our intern alums have to say?
“This internship showed me what it was like to work with a non-profit. I got to see the back end of how big events work, how social media is managed, and how campaigns are run. I got to understand the nitty-gritty details that go into producing smooth sailing work at a non-profit organization focused on women’s issues—a field in which I intend to pursue as a career after I graduate. This internship gave me a great sneak peek into what I intend to do after college.”
– Sarah, Summer ’16
“During my time at NOW-NYC, I got to perform a broad array of tasks and felt like my contributions were not only necessary, but meaningful. I would definitely recommend applying to NOW-NYC’s internship program to anyone committed to feminist activism and advocacy who is excited to delve into every aspect of non-profit work!”
– Hillary, Summer ’14
Saturday, Aug 18 | 7:00am - 11:00am Clinic Escorting
Sunday, Aug 26 | 12:00pm - 2:00pm ALLY EVENT: Unite for Justice
Tuesday, Sep 11 | 6:00pm - 8:00pm Divorce and Separations Workshop
Meet Sydney Ireland; Introducing Young Women to All Levels of Scouting #ScoutHerIn Sydney Ireland is determined to be an Eagle...
Keep Families Together: Call Congress to Stop Separation of Children and Parents Just one month after Jeff Sessions'...