NOW-NYC Endorses Bill de Blasio for Mayor
The National Organization for Women-New York City endorses Bill De Blasio for Mayor, highlighting both his record and commitment to advancing women’s rights and equality for all New Yorkers.
“Women understand the Tale of Two Cities, because many live it,” said Sonia Ossorio, president of NOW-NYC. “Forty percent of single mothers in New York City are raising hundreds of thousands of children on less than $25,000, some while working two jobs. Clearly we are failing these women. Bill de Blasio is committed to tackling inequality head on.”
Bill de Blasio, current Public Advocate of New York City, vows “As mayor, I will spend every waking moment fighting to bring opportunity to every New Yorker.”
De Blasio is especially committed to improving the lives of the women and girls of NYC by creating a more equitable city. As mayor, he pledges to:
- Take immediate action to ensure equal pay for women.
- Settle the current lawsuit against the city brought by two female school security guards who are earning significantly less than their male co-workers.
- Ensure access to quality healthcare for women, including safe access to reproductive health clinics.
- Continue Bloomberg’s abortion training initiative for all medical residents in NYC hospitals.
- Provide more Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) educational opportunities in schools to encourage young women to pursue careers in these fields.
- Direct Small Business Services to increase the number of women owned businesses.
- Pass legislation to support immigrant victims of domestic violence.
- Promote a ‘housing first’ approach to move more women and children from shelters into affordable housing.
- Work with city agencies to set higher standards to foster family friendly work settings that provide workers with the flexibility that they need to meet both their work and childcare commitments.
- Protect affordable housing for the disproportionate numbers of New York City women living below the poverty line.
- Raise awareness of sexual assault and empower bystanders to take action and do their part in ending sexual assault.
- Make subway grinding a felony.
- Work with advocates and law enforcement to bring human trafficking to an end.
- Promote gender diversity in the police force and fire department.
Throughout his years in public office, Bill de Blasio has been a dedicated advocate for the rights and well-being of the women and girls of New York City. His record on women’s rights includes:
- Led the fight for paid sick leave.
- Authored and passed legislation to ensure housing for victims of domestic violence.
- Assisted in passing legislation requiring employers to take reasonable measures to protect and accommodate victims of domestic violence.
- Led a demand for system reform so that protective orders would be readily enforced.
- Advocated on behalf of Planned Parenthood and fought for continued funding of this important organization.
- Assisted in passing legislation that established protected zones around women’s health centers to ensure the safety of women acquiring their services.
- Collaborated with city officials and organizations to create and distribute thousands of guides on preventing sexual assault.
- Lobbied in Albany for legislation to ban the practice of subway grinding.
Check out our official press release about the endorsement HERE
Read the latest news on Bill de Blasio and women’s rights from NY1 HERE
To learn more about Bill de Blasio’s plans for improving women’s rights in New York City, visit the campaign website