Resist the Trump Agenda – Week #4
Keep yourself informed here with our weekly updates of resistance in the Trump administration, as well as a weekly action that you can take NOW.
Check out our Activist Tool Kit!
Interested in joining activists from your own neighborhood in the resistance? Sign up for our Fight Back NOW Action Teams! These teams will show up and speak out when our rights are being threatened and work in key districts across the state to lay the groundwork for change in 2018 and 2020.
Take Action NOW
The next vote on a Cabinet nominee is Steven Mnuchin for Secretary of Treasury on Monday. Mnuchin has a shady history of deliberately mishandling other people’s money and livelihood. Mnuchin has:
- Targeted people of color and elderly people with foreclosures and racist lending practices.
- Accused of pocketing $3.2 million in profit from the Bernie Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Said tax reform was his number 1 priority – which will most likely disproportionately favor wealthy people.
- Has no government experience.
Following Mnuchin, Scott Pruitt will most likely be confirmed this week as well as Head of the Environmental Protection Agency. Pruitt:
- Actively questions the legitimacy of climate change.
- Has close ties with several energy corporations.
- Is currently being sued for failing to release documents pertaining to his ties to fossil fuel industries.
Call your Senators from New York and let them know why you reject Trump’s Cabinet picks. Need more info? Get our guide to Trump’s picks here.
- Chuck Schumer: 212-486-4430 | 202-224-6542 | @SenSchumer
- Kirsten Gillibrand: 212-688-6262 | 202-224-4451 | @SenGillibrand
Want to stay up-to-date with all of NOW’s action plans? Click the V to download “Voices,” an smartphone app designed to inform you of our actions as soon as we post them!
Trump: Week #4
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids occurred last week and 40 individuals from NY were arrested and detained.
- Republicans are starting to feel the heat from their constituents – we must continue to hold our representatives accountable.
- Betsy DeVos confirmed as Secretary of Education, Jeff Sessions confirmed as Attorney General, and Tom Price confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- Construction began again on the Dakota Access Pipeline – #NoDAPL
On a more positive note, though:
- The 9th Circuit blocked the enforcement of key parts of Trump’s Immigration Ban.