How Trump’s Budget Will Impact Women
The Presidential Budget is historically just a “wishlist, ” but it is also a clear outline of the President’s priorities. The big picture is that this budget makes big cuts to programs for women, children, people with disabilities, and low income families, while making tax cuts for the wealthy. The takeaway is: The budget hurts every day Americans and cuts taxes for millionaires, billionaires, and wealthy corporations.
What To Know About the Budget
- $2 million in cuts to the Violence Against Women Act. VAWA serves 7 million individuals and families a year, and part of its funding is used to prevent child marriage. Sign our petition to protect VAWA and to demand full funding!
- $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid. Women make up two-thirds of adult Medicaid users, and Medicaid pays for almost half of all births. Coupled with removing all federal funding from Planned Parenthood, millions of women will lose access to the healthcare they need.
- Social Security Disability Insurance cut by $64 billion. And Trump’s promise of no cuts to Social Security? Fake news.
- Cuts to vital programs for children. The budget cruelly proposes to cut the Children’s Health Insurance program by 20%, and cuts food stamps, specifically those for women and children, by over a billion dollars.
- Cuts the Environmental Protection Agency budget by nearly a third. Currently led by climate change denier Scott Pruitt, the cuts include eliminating half the budget for the EPA office that determines standards for pollution in water. And guess which city’s children still don’t have reliable access to clean water? Flint, Michigan.
- Virtually eliminates The Women’s Bureau by cutting it by 76 percent. This is the office dedicated to promoting working women. (What happened here, Ivanka?) an office dedicated to promoting working women. These cuts make the paid family leave plan seem even less meaningful.
- Cuts PROGRAMS for women, children, people with disabilities, and low-income families and cuts TAXES for the wealthy. This is the big picture: The budget cuts taxes for millionaires, billionaires, and wealthy corporations.
Take Action NOW
Call your Congressperson to demand a better budget
Sign our petition to protect the Violence Against Women Act