Web of Lies & Hate – Trump’s Anti-Women Leaders
As the front page news grapples with its critical coverage of Russian interference and daily developments in Congress, Trump’s anti-choice and anti-birth control team of science-deniers are busy shaping policy and changing regulations to roll back women’s reproductive healthcare, vital civil rights enforcement, and sexual assault protections.
With each passing week of the Trump presidency, it seems like there is something new or someone new that threatens to derail all of the progress that has been made. To help you remain informed and vigilant in our ongoing resistance and the broader fight for social justice, here’s your who’s-who guide of Trump Administration members to watch.
Betsy DeVos, Secretary for Department of Education
“It would be premature for me to do that today” – when asked if she would uphold 2011 Title IX guidance on campus sexual assault
– Gave equal air-time to the National Coalition for Men (NCFM) while holding meetings on campus sexual assault. The organization falsely claims that up to 50% of rape allegations against men are untrue.
– Believes guns should be allowed in schools
Controls enforcement of Title IX
Candice Jackson, Department of Education, Acting Assistant Secretary, Office of Civil Rights
“Rather, the accusations — 90 percent of them — fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk,’ ‘we broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right’”
– Believes affirmative action is a form of racial discrimination
-Has denounced feminism
-Labeled Donald Trump’s sexual assault accusers as “fake victims” on her Facebook Page
Jackson is responsible for carrying out directives from Betsy DeVos and setting strategy for OCR on how to enforce Title IX
Eric Dreiband, nominee, Department of Justice, Head of Civil Rights Division
– Advocates for weaker anti-discrimination protections in the workplace
– Defended the University of North Carolina’s decision to uphold the infamous “Bathroom Bill” barring transgender students from using the bathroom matching their gender identity
Tom Price, Secretary of Department of Health & Human Services
“Bring me one woman who has been left behind. Bring me one. There’s not one. The fact of the matter is this is a trampling on religious freedom and religious liberty in this country.” [in response to a question about decreasing coverage for contraception]
– While in the House of Representatives, proposed legislation that sought to privatize Medicare
– Voted YES on granting the pre-born equal protection under 14th Amendment.
– Voted NO on reauthorizing the Violence Against Women Act
– Voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion.
– Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation
– Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman
Matt Bowman, Department of Health & Human Services, Senior Counsel
“2.83 million visit @PPFA each year, @SenBobCasey 2.5 million is how many walk out alive. Please stand with the 330,000 babies they abort.”
– Senior Counsel to Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a Christian legal advocacy group that believes our legal system has “been steadily moving against religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and marriage and family.”
– Represented March for Life, an anti-choice organization in their lawsuit against HHS for requiring employers provide contraception coverage.
Bowman is currently working with Katy Talento to construct a regulation reversing the contraception coverage mandate put in place under the Affordable Care Act
Valerie Huber, Chief of Staff to Assistant Secretary of Department of Health & Human Services
– She rejects scientific research that proves that widespread access to contraception has lowered teen pregnancy rates.
–Formally the President & CEO of Ascend, a large abstinence-only organization which creates curricula and trains educators on archaic, sexist and purposefully misleading strategies for teaching sexual education
– Believes the only allowable form of intercourse is between a man and a woman under the sanctity of marriage
Charmaine Yoest, Public Affairs Officer of Department of Health & Human Services
“As a breast cancer survivor, the spin on abortion and breast cancer really troubles me,” she said. “Why can’t you report what the research actually shows?” Note: NO research actually shows link
– Former President of Americans United for Life, an anti-abortion public interest law firm and advocacy group
– Believes abortion should be prohibited, even in cases of rape and incest
– Believes IUD‘s end pregnancies
– Believes doctors should be legally obligated to tell patients nonsurgical abortions can be reversed, even though there is no scientific evidence that proves that nonsurgical abortions can be reversed.
Katy Talento, White House Domestic Policy Council
“Did your doctor tell you all the facts before writing that prescription? Did she tell you that the longer you stay on the Pill, the more likely you are to ruin your uterus for baby-hosting altogether?” Note: This is completely untrue
– Believes birth control causes abortions and miscarriages, despite zero scientific links proving these unsound claims
– Tried to stop funding for HIV/AIDS research by claiming the money was going to support Russian prostitution
– Claims that women can prevent Zika by having their husbands sleep on top of the covers at night.
Talento is currently working with Matt Bowman to construct a regulation reversing the contraception coverage mandate put in place under the Affordable Care Act