Rise Up Against TrumpCare!
Here’s what you need to know NOW:
The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the current GOP healthcare plan will result in 14 million people losing coverage by 2018, and 23 million people losing coverage by 2026.
The hardest hit people will be older, low-income Americans who would see their premiums rise by up to 800 percent. While premiums would fall overall, it’s because people won’t be able to afford health insurance, and so will leave the market.
Here’s Why We Need to Act NOW:
- As parts of Medicaid cuts, access to contraceptive coverage will be severely cut. 19 million women rely on Medicaid for their healthcare. In fact, half of all births are covered through Medicaid.
- Despite promises that pre-existing conditions will be covered, the CBO reports that up to 1/6th of Americans are living in states that will likely obtain waivers preventing them from having to provide insurance to people with pre-existing conditions.
- Abortion coverage will be significantly reduced. Individuals in need of tax credits to purchase their health insurance (the proposed replacement for subsidies) will be prohibited from enrolling in a healthcare plan that covers abortion. This means poor women will be forced out of plans that cover abortion.
- Planned Parenthood is being targeted for defunding, cutting vital healthcare access from the 2.5 million Americans who use their services each year. On top of the fact that the presidential budget proposes ending all federal funding for Planned Parenthood, it is imperative that the Senate reject this attack on women’s health.
- Victims of domestic violence could lose access. They may be required to still file jointly with their partner in order to receive a tax credit, further endangering them.
- Millions of women will lose health insurance without the ACA, and tens of millions more may have their contraception coverage rescinded.
This is a healthcare emergency for millions of Americans and women’s reproductive healthcare is at stake.
Take Action NOW:
Call your Senators and tell them that you won’t stand for any healthcare legislation that does not protect women’s health. Find your representative’s contact info here.
Here’s what you can say:
Hello, I’m a constituent of _____, and I want to ensure that Senator _____ is opposing the congressional healthcare proposal to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. The American Health Care Act negatively impacts women’s access to healthcare, especially reproductive healthcare, and would cause millions of Americans to lose their coverage.
And then, call the New York State congressmen who voted for this healthcare bill in the House and tell them they’re getting voted out in 2018.