Sexual Harassment & Discrimination
What Is Sexual Harassment?
WORKPLACE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS NOT JUST WRONG – IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
The terms “sexual harassment” refers to behavior by your co-worker or supervisor that is unwelcome, unwanted, offensive, or of a sexual nature. The behavior can be verbal, physical or pictorial and can include offensive sexual email content, unwanted pressure for dates, touching, questions about your sexual or dating life, pornography in the workplace, sexual gestures or comments. These are a few of the forms of sexual harassment. It may also include requests for sexual favors in exchange for privileges at work, which is also known as quid pro quo. For instance, if your boss tells you he will give you that raise, promotion, time off if you kiss him or go out with him or the like.
What is Gender Discrimination?
DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF GENDER IS NOT JUST WRONG – IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
Workplace gender discrimination includes:
- The awarding of unequal pay or benefits for identical jobs or closely comparable jobs based solely on gender.
- The refusal to hire for specific positions solely based on gender.
- The termination of employment or the refusal to hire based on gender.
- Denial of employment opportunities, such as promotion, job selection, raises, bonuses based on gender.
- Unequal treatment of women as compared to men in your workplace; for example your employer treats men better in terms of pay, bonuses, job advancement, privileges of employment, discipline, termination, terms of employment, job responsibilities, and assignments. For example, if you are fired for doing something that a man did and was not fired for, that would constitute unequal treatment.
- Lack of access to training or work positions that are prerequisites to increased pay or promotion because you are a woman.
- Retaliation of you because you complained of discrimination which resulted in your employer lowering your pay, hours, firing you, or taking any other adverse action against you, such as a negative review.
Women’s Justice NOW
Thursday, Mar 30 - Friday, Mar 31 | 4:00pm - 11:00pm Historians and Feminists: An Intergenerational Convention
Thursday, Apr 06 | 7:00pm - 8:30pm "Life's Work: A Moral Argument for Choice" Launch Party w/ Special Guest Gloria Steinem
Saturday, Apr 08 | 2:00pm - 4:00pm Hollaback! Presents: 2017 Anti-Street Harassment Rally
Take Rape Seriously NOW #TakeRapeSeriously VAWA has transformed...
End Child Marriage In New York State Did you know there are loopholes in the...