Sexual Harassment & Discrimination
What Is Sexual Harassment?
WORKPLACE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS NOT JUST WRONG – IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
The terms “sexual harassment” refers to behavior by your co-worker or supervisor that is unwelcome, unwanted, offensive, or of a sexual nature. The behavior can be verbal, physical or pictorial and can include offensive sexual email content, unwanted pressure for dates, touching, questions about your sexual or dating life, pornography in the workplace, sexual gestures or comments. These are a few of the forms of sexual harassment. It may also include requests for sexual favors in exchange for privileges at work, which is also known as quid pro quo. For instance, if your boss tells you he will give you that raise, promotion, time off if you kiss him or go out with him or the like.
What is Gender Discrimination?
DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF GENDER IS NOT JUST WRONG – IT IS AGAINST THE LAW.
Workplace gender discrimination includes:
- The awarding of unequal pay or benefits for identical jobs or closely comparable jobs based solely on gender.
- The refusal to hire for specific positions solely based on gender.
- The termination of employment or the refusal to hire based on gender.
- Denial of employment opportunities, such as promotion, job selection, raises, bonuses based on gender.
- Unequal treatment of women as compared to men in your workplace; for example your employer treats men better in terms of pay, bonuses, job advancement, privileges of employment, discipline, termination, terms of employment, job responsibilities, and assignments. For example, if you are fired for doing something that a man did and was not fired for, that would constitute unequal treatment.
- Lack of access to training or work positions that are prerequisites to increased pay or promotion because you are a woman.
- Retaliation of you because you complained of discrimination which resulted in your employer lowering your pay, hours, firing you, or taking any other adverse action against you, such as a negative review.
Women’s Justice NOW
Tuesday, May 23 | 7:00pm - 9:00pm Reproductive Rights: Now You Have Them - Now You Don't!
Wednesday, May 24 | 6:00pm - 8:00pm State of the Resistance
Saturday, Jun 03 | 11:00am - 1:00pm Hudson Women's Town Hall: Speak Out Against Violence
Tuesday, Jun 06 | 6:30pm - 8:30pm NOW and WIN.NYC Political Action Happy Hour
Tell the Boy Scouts: Let Girls Participate in All Programs Sydney Ireland (Photo credit: Khan/WNYC)...
Pass the "Ban the Salary History Question" Bill in New York State Asking prospective employees about their...