Trump Fills Administration With Anti-Choice Activists
More Anti-Woman Additions to the Trump Administration
President Trump is clearly on a mission to have the most anti-choice administration in history. The White House recently announced that the Trump’s Health and Human Services Secretary, Tom Price, will appoint anti-abortion activist Teresa Manning to serve as the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Population Affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services. Yes, President Trump and Secretary Price want an anti-choice advocate to oversee a federal family planning program that targets low-income Americans.
Once appointed, Manning will be in charge of approximately $285 million of Title X’s federal family planning budget, and she will have immense influence over federal policies on contraception. That’s right, the official who will oversee the nation’s largest federal fund for providing birth control has worked for numerous anti-choice organizations, and vehemently opposes birth control. Absurdly, appointing officials who oppose the mandate of the agency they’re supposed to lead seems to be Trump’s specialty, and Manning’s appointment continues this trend.
Here are a few of Manning’s most absurd statements on contraception and reproductive rights:
- “The link between abortion and breast cancer is now undisputed.”
- “Considering that the effects of abortion are very similar to the effects of rape, is abortion a healthy solution for the pregnant rape victim?”
- “Reports of physical injuries and deaths at clinics are already alarmingly common.”
- Abortion is a “‘legalized crime’ and family planning is “something that occurs between a husband and a wife and God.”
Manning clearly doesn’t believe in scientific facts, since she claims “contraception doesn’t work,” even though contraceptive pills are proven to be 99 percent effective. Manning stands as further proof that Trump continues to fill the government with officials who don’t believe in vital scientific research and the importance of facts.
Last week, Secretary Price appointed Charmaine Yoest to be the Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services for Public Affairs. Yoest is the former head of Americans United For Life, and is a fervent anti-abortion activist. In her new position, Yoest will have huge influence over H.H.S.’s news releases and website, and will be in charge of $30 million of the department’s budget.
- IUDs have “life-ending properties.”
- There is “a positive association between having an abortion and developing breast cancer.”
- “When it comes to rape, women tell the truth about half the time, Which creates a problem for law enforcement. When a woman cries, ‘Rape,’ a crime has been committed. The challenge for the cops is, who is the criminal—the man or the woman? Either a rape has occurred. Or a slander has occurred, The police officer could flip a coin to determine truth with equal statistical probability.”
- “Transgender genders will sometimes, but not necessarily, amputate a perfectly normal… I believe it is in bad form to actually ask a Transgender if this elective surgery is part of his/her/its medical history. You see, these creatures are crazy, I believe.”
We didn’t think it was possible for Trump’s administration to be any more anti-women—which is why we gave him an F on his first 100 days in office—but then Tom Price appointed Manning and Yoest and proved us wrong.
If this news makes you angry, consider joining one of our Fight Back NOW Teams—we have a lot of work ahead of us fighting the Trump administration’s anti-women administration and policies and we need your help!