We Need Sustained Action for Abortion Rights!
On September 1st, one of the most dangerous and extreme abortion bans (S.B.8) took effect in Texas. The ban limits abortion to a time when many women may not yet know they’re pregnant – just six weeks – in direct violation of Roe v. Wade. The ban effectively outlaws abortion in the entire state of Texas and sets a dangerous course for the rest of the country. This extreme new ban affects us all.
In a devastating 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court has refused to take immediate action to block this unconstitutional law, causing direct harm to women and people seeking abortion and reproductive healthcare. Beyond Texas, the Supreme Court has agreed to review a challenge to Mississippi’s law that criminalizes abortion after 15 weeks – a state that has only one abortion clinic remaining.
One of the scariest features of the Texas law is its “private civil right to action” which allows private citizens to sue anyone who “knowingly engages in conduct that aids or abets the performance or inducement of an abortion,” potentially putting a $10,000 bounty on anyone who assists in the abortion process and creating a climate of fear for women who need access to an abortion. This includes drivers, family members, or neighbors, in addition to healthcare providers.
Here’s what you can say:
I am calling to urge [SENATOR NAME/REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to denounce S.B.8 and any similar laws involving extreme abortion bans. We should all be able to make our own decisions about our health and future and we must stand in solidarity with Texas and people everywhere seeking reproductive freedom. We must pass legislation that will protect women’s health and codify Roe across the country NOW.
More actions to take
1. Support Texas abortion funds
Share information on how to access abortion in Texas and support abortion funds that help women and others access the reproductive healthcare they need. Our allies on-the-ground in Texas are facing a harsh new reality. Women are in need of accurate information and urgent support to be able to access abortion.
Here’s a list of organizations you can support NOW:
Need Abortion.org – Find abortion care in Texas, get the latest on the laws, & donate to support abortion funds
National Network of Abortion Funds – Find Individual Abortion Funds in Texas
Jane’s Due Process – Helps teens navigate abortion access and the judicial bypass process in Texas
2. Spread the word on what’s happening to our abortion rights!
Here are some sample tweets & posts you can share:
- NO #SB8! A ban that will essentially end abortion access for Texas women has gone into effect. Take action to hold the line on access to our vital reproductive healthcare. Stand in solidarity with Texas women and stand up for our reproductive freedom. #BansOffOurBodies
- I’m pro-choice, and I stand with Texas women. NO #SB8 and keep #BansOffOurBodies
- It’s pretty simple: We should all be able to make our own decisions about our health and future. But between TX’s extreme abortion ban and states passing a record number of abortion restrictions this year, we have to fight for everyone’s reproductive freedom. #BansOffOurBodies
- The newest Texas abortion ban, #SB8, gives politicians, neighbors, and even strangers the right to sue those who provide — or just help patients get — abortion after 6 wks. They won’t stop with Texas. If we don’t fight back, we could see similar restrictions across the country. #BansOffOurBodies
3. Stay informed and stay connected to NOW-NYC!
We will continue to update you and take action to defend our reproductive freedom. Make sure you sign-up for our emails to learn about upcoming protests and rallies and events on the issues that matter to you.
Our commitment to reproductive healthcare is unwavering.
Access to abortion is a fundamental right, and we fiercely oppose attempts to restrict reproductive freedom. Legislation like S.B.8 and others that may follow pose a grave threat to our bodily autonomy and to abortion access and rights, especially for BIPOC communities across the country who may struggle to seek abortion care. We will be here every step of the way to defend our rights and take action with you! NOW has advanced the rights of women and girls for more than 50 years, and we won’t go back.